Dr. Rishe is
- Author of 3 books on database design and geography;
- Editor of 5 books on database management and high performance computing;
- Inventor of 4 U.S. patents on database querying, semantic database performance, Internet data extraction, and computer medicine;
- Author of 300 papers in journals and proceedings on databases, software engineering, Geographic Information Systems, Internet, and life sciences;
- Awardee of over $55 million in research grants by Government and Industry, including NASA, NSF, IBM, DoI, USGS, and DoT;
- Architect of major industrial projects both prior to his academic career, and as a consultant since;
- Founder and Director of the High Performance Database Research Center at FIU (HPDRC);
- Director of the NSF Center for Research Excellence in Science and Technology at FIU (CREST)
- Director of the NSF International FIU-FAU-Dubna Industry-University Cooperative Research Center for Advanced Knowledge Enablement (I/UCRC);
- the inaugural FIU Outstanding University Professor.
- Principal of the TerraFly project, which has been extensively covered by worldwide press, including the New York Times, USA Today, NPR, Science and Nature journals, and FOX TV News. Of the 53,000 NSF-funded projects in 2009, it chose 120, including Rishe's TerraFly, for the NSF annual report to Congress.
Current NSF grants under Rishe's P.I.ship include:
- $2.9M Moving Objects Databases for Exploration of Virtual and Real Environments;
- $800K Ecosystem to Pipeline Research;
- $5.2M Center for Innovative Information Systems Engineering;
- $1.4M Industry-University Cooperative Research Center;
- $1M Development of a High-Performance Database Appliance for Geospatial Applications;
- $700K Development of an Integrated, Geospatial Analytics Research Instrument;
- $750K Instrument for Information Science and Computing in Neuroscience;
- and over $1M in smaller current NSF grants.
A current U.S. Department if Transportation award under Rishe's P.I.-ship is the $11.4M TIGER-2013.
Rishe's current industrial grants include:
- $800K from ALTA Pix for integration into TerraFly of ultra-high resolution ALTA aerial photography
- $1.5M industrial membership fees in the I/UCRC
- $600K in subcontracts from SBIR companies
- $1M in auxiliary income; and
- $200K in donations.
Rishe is the Founder and President of a university spinoff company TerraFly Inc, a recipient a $1M NSF Small Business Innovation Research Award.
High Performance Database Research Center,
School of Computing and Information Sciences,
University Park, FIU ECS-243, Miami, FL 33199
Telephone: (305) 348-1706; FAX: (305) 348-1707; http://hpdrc.fiu.edu